Thursday, April 5, 2007

Solemn Liturgy of Good Friday


The question was asked about incorporating the Lord's Supper in the Good Friday Liturgy. Both LW and LSB provide rubrics for this which are not far off from the Traditional rite. Mainly, the consecration (verba) is included.

Using bread and wine consecrated the day before is problematic for Lutherans. At Prince of Peace, we alway consume every that is consecrated at the service at which it is consecrated. There are never any "reliquae", at all.

What we do is a little unique. Liturgical purists may stop reading now. The only Good Friday service the people here knew was the Tenebrae, and they were fond of it. So we have a "Tenebrae" appendage at the end of our main service in which we utilize the reproaches (which we moved from the main service). It is not in lock step with "Sacred Tradition", but I'm okay with that. Frankly, it is not further away from the tradition rites that LW or LSB (which I am not criticizing) (or endorsing).

Comments are in red

The Solemn Liturgy of Good Friday

The Congregation gathers in Silence

The Collect (From LW)
Let us pray. Almighty and merciful God, we implore You graciously to be hold this Your family, for which our Lord Jesus Christ was contented to be betrayed and given up into the hands of wicked men and to suffer death upon the cross; through the same Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
Amen.

The First Reading: Hosea 6:1-6 (traditional)

The Response (Traditional antiphon)
O Lord, I have heard Your speech, and was afraid:
O Lord, revive Your work in the midst of the years.
In the midst of the years make it known;
In wrath remember mercy.
God came from Teman, the Holy One from Mount Paran;
His glory covered the heavens.
The earth was full of His praise
And His brightness was as the light.
He had horns coming out of His hand:
And there was the hiding of His power. (Habbakkuk 3:2-4)

Let us pray. O God, from whom Judas received the punishment for his guilt, and the thief the reward of his confession: grant unto us the full fruit of Your mercy; that having taken away our sins by the Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ, He may also bestow on us the grace of His resurrection; through the same Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. (traditional)
Amen.

The Second Reading: Exodus 12:1-11 (traditional)

The Response (Traditional antiphon--reduced a little)
Deliver me, O Lord, from evil men
Preserve me from violent men,
They plan evil things in their hearts;
They continually gather together for war.
They sharpen their tongues like a serpent; the poison of asps is under their lips.
Keep me, O Lord, from the hands of the wicked. (From Psalm 140)

The Hymn: “Jesus I will Ponder Now” …………...Lutheran Worship #91

(all hymns are foreign to the traditional rite except the pange lingua)

The Reading of the Holy Passion: St. John 18:1-19:42 (traditional)

The Hymn: “O Dearest Jesus, What Law have You Broken” ….Lutheran Worship #119

The Sermon (added)

The Hymn of the Day: “O Sacred Head, Now Wounded” …….Lutheran Worship #113

The Offering

The Bidding Prayer (traditional)
(I print this in the bulletin, but have deleted it here for the sake of space, It's the LW one)

The Procession of the Holy Cross (traditional)
Behold, the life-giving cross on which was hung the Savior of the world.
O Come, let us worship Him.

Behold, the life-giving cross on which was hung the Savior of the world.
O Come, let us worship Him.

Behold, the life-giving cross on which was hung the Savior of the world.
O Come, let us worship Him.

(Reproaches traditionally would be here. We moved them)

The Hymn: “Sing, my Tongue, the Glorious Battle” …………...Lutheran Worship #117
(traditional)

(traditionally, the adoration of Christ appears here. We do it after the consecration)


The Lord’s Prayer (traditional)

The Words of Consecration (not part of the traditional rite, but necessary)

The Adoration of Christ (transplanted as noted above)
We adore You, O Christ, and we bless You
Because by Your Holy Cross, You have redeemed the world.
By a tree we were made slaves, and by the Holy Cross we are set free.
The fruit of the tree seduced us. The Son of God has redeemed us.
Savior of the world, save us.
Help us, O God, for You have redeemed us by Your cross and blood.

The Distribution of Christ’s Body and Blood


The Post-Communion Collects (traditional)
Let us pray. We beseech You, O Lord, that Your plentiful blessing may descend upon Your faithful people, that having devoutly remembered the Passion and death of Your Son, and having received Your gentle consolation, we may remain steadfast in true faith and increase in true holiness; through Jesus Christ, our Lord.
Amen.

Almighty and merciful God, Who has restored us by the passion and death of You Christ, preserve with in us the works of Your mercy, that through this Holy Sacrament we may ever remain faithful; through Jesus Christ, our Lord.
Amen.

Remember Your mercies, O Lord, and sanctify us with Your eternal protection, for we are Your servants for whom Christ Your Son has established this sacred testament in His Blood, through the same Jesus Christ, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, One God, now and forever.
Amen.

The Hymn: "How Great Thou Art" LW #519
(just kidding)

Note: The Service of Darkness will begin shortly after the Hymn, if you must leave,
please exit the church quietly after the Hymn.



The Service of Darkness (Tenebrae) (all innovation, some of which from LW)

The Sentences and Collects
He was wounded for our transgressions. He was bruised for our iniqities; the chastisement of our peace was upon Him.
And by His stripes we are healed. Isaiah 53:5

Merciful God, Heavenly Father, we give You most hearty thanks that you have removed from us the grievous burden of our sins and placed it upon Your dear Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. We humbly implore You, govern us by Your Holy Spirit, that we may be comforted in the face of all temptations by His suffering and death, be guarded against sin and an evil conscience, and finally obtain eternal salvation, through Jesus Christ, our Lord.
Amen.

We all like sheep have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way;
And the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all. Isaiah 53:6

O Righteous and Holy God, Who manifested to us Your limitless love by not sparing Your own Son, but delivered Him up for us all; by the memory of His bitter death and by the sacred mystery of His sorrows in the garden and upon the cross, we humbly implore You to have mercy upon us and upon all mankind, and to make known Your salvation among the nations, through Jesus Christ, our Lord.
Amen.

The Hymn: “Lamb of God, Pure and Sinless” …………………...Lutheran Worship #208

The Reproaches (We sing the reproaches as they are below ala LW, and the hagios to music from Luther's hymn "In the midst of earthly life)

Thus says the Lord: What have I done to you, O my people?
And how have I offended you? Answer me!
For I have raised you up from the prison house of Egypt
And you have lifted and bound your Savior to the cross.
Behold, I brought you into a land flowing with milk and honey
And you have given Me gall and vinegar to drink. O My people!

Holy and Righteous God.
Holy and Righteous God.
Holy and Almighty One.
Holy and Almighty One.
Holy and Immortal One.
Holy and Immortal One.
Have mercy, O Lord.
Have mercy, O Lord. A Candle is Extinguished

Thus says the Lord: What have I done to you, O my people?
And how have I offended you? Answer me!
What more could I have done for my vineyard
Than I have done for it?
Behold, I have planted you as My fairest vine
And you have left Me to wither on the tree. O My people!

Holy and Righteous God. (etc. as above)

Thus says the Lord: What have I done to you, O my people?
And how have I offended you? Answer me!
For I have scourged Egypt and its firstborn for your sake,
And you have given Me over to be scourged.
Behold, I did open the Red Sea before you,
And you opened My side with a spear. O My people!

Holy and Righteous God. (etc. as above)

Thus says the Lord: What have I done to you, O my people?
And how have I offended you? Answer me!
For I have delivered you by drowning Pharoah in the Red Sea,
And you have delivered me over to the Chief Priests.
Behold, I led you with pillars of cloud and fire,
And you led me to the judgment hall of Pontius Pilate. O My people!

Holy and Righteous God. (etc. as above)

Thus says the Lord: What have I done to you, O my people?
And how have I offended you? Answer me!
For I did give you manna to eat in the wilderness
And you have fed me with blows and beatings
Behold, I gave you water of salvation to drink from the Rock,
And you have spit upon Me with your mouths. O My people!

Holy and Righteous God. (etc. as above)

Thus says the Lord: What have I done to you, O my people?
And how have I offended you? Answer me!
For I did smite the kings of the Canaanites for your sake,
And you have given my head a crown of thorns.
Behold, I gave you a royal scepter,
And you have smitten my head with a reed. O My people!

Holy and Righteous God. (etc. as above)

Pastor: Thus says the Lord: What have I done to you, O my people?
And how have I offended you? Answer me!
For I have clothed you in the wilderness for forty years
And you have striped Me and have cast lots for my garments.
Behold, I exalted with great strength and virtue,
And you suspended me on the scaffold of the cross. O My people!

Holy and Righteous God. (etc. as above)

The Lord’s Prayer

The Strepitus

The Collect

Pastor: Almighty and everlasting God, who willed that Your Son should bear for us the pains of the cross and so remove from us the power of the adversary, help us so to remember and give thanks for our Lord’s Passion that we may receive remission of sin and redemption from everlasting death; through Jesus Christ, our Lord.
Amen.

3 comments:

Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

[Sarcastic mode on]

What next Pr. Woodring? A clown mass? Dancing girls? Burning your hymnals? This kind of horrible liturgical license is what leads to the downfall of all things holy.

[Sarcastic mode off]

Pastor Woodring said...

Pr. McCain,

Now you should know that I would never use dancing girls on Good Friday. We use them for the striping of the altar on Thursday.

But at least we don't have communion during Matins.

Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

What's worse, pg. 5 of TLH or communion during Matins?

: )

Blessed Triduum to you and your congregation.